Primary Years Programme
Our Primary School teaches the IB Primary Years Programme (PYP).
The PYP is a guided approach to teaching and learning. Inquiry-based units of study, known as Units of Inquiry, are the focus for learning in each year group.
In the inquiry-based classroom the emphasis is on real life situations, decision making, problem solving and action.
Units of Inquiry
Through the Units of Inquiry, we create learning experiences which inspire students to actively apply their knowledge, understanding and skills in their daily lives.
Students are encouraged to reflect on their learning, to choose their actions wisely and to behave responsibly with their peers, teachers, other staff and the wider community.
Students have opportunities to experience what it is like to think and act like a scientist, an historian, an engineer or a mathematician. This approach makes learning fun and relevant.
- Explore, wonder and question.
- Experiment and consider possibilities.
- Research and seek information.
- Collect data and report findings.
- Clarify existing ideas and reappraise events.
- Deepen their understanding through the application of a concept, or rule.
- Make and test theories.
- Make predictions and act purposefully, to see what happens.
- Elaborate on solutions to problems.
- Share learning opportunities with other students and parents.
For more details about the Primary Years Programme (PYP) please click this link to visit the IB website.
For mathematics and English teaching we follow the English National Curriculum.
For more details about our Primary school please click this link to the Primary School pages.